The Maine Film Association (MFA) advances the art, craft, and business of filmmaking in Maine. Our vision is to make Maine a great place to live and work as a filmmaker.
We’re a trade organization made up of an active group of production companies, film and video professionals, TV stations, students, actors, musicians, writers, crew members, and others interested in advancing the film industry in Maine. If you envision the same future for the film industry in Maine, join as a member today!
UPCOMING MFA EVENTS
Intermediate-Level Workshop: Shooting for Natural History and Wildlife Documentary Production
Sunday, July 15, 2018 – 10am-5pm
Gilsland Farm Audubon Center, 20 Gilsland Farm Rd, Falmouth, ME
Full details at mainefilm.org/documentary-shooting.
Join natural history and wildlife documentary filmmaker Mauricio Handler in this one-day on-location workshop that explores the world of a wildlife cameraman. The workshop will include a combination of screenings, behind-the-scenes anecdotes, show and tell, and hands-on filming with the tools of the trade.
Mauricio will introduce filming techniques and expand your current knowledge of what it takes to get the shots for documentary work, with a primary focus on the natural history realm. He will show you the tools of the trade including field tripods, long wildlife zoom lenses, 3-axis motion controllers, underwater housing, field lights, portable jibs, back packs, and much more.
Subjects that will be covered during the workshop include:
- Life as a wildlife cameraman – Have gear will travel! How did I get here? Where do I sign up?
- How to get the shots – Camera set up, technical gear, and Murphy’s law.
- Red Epic Dragon camera package – Everything you ever wanted to know and more.
- The fine art of patience – Entropy, zentropy, Iaido and how to brew the perfect coffee at camp (a sneak peek into the perfect coffee pot)
- Specialization – Should I go solo or join a team?
- The business – Pie breakdown of a wildlife cameraman.
- Filming, transcoding, editing, adding sound, and solar powered inverters.
- Jim’s spiffed up Ford F-350 Truck – The obsession with expedition vehicles
- What’s next? Maine Wild: From mountain to sea
- A sneak peek at Chile: A wild journey (not yet released)
Thank you to our Marquis Business Member for their generous support!