Intermediate-Level Workshop: Shooting for Natural History and Wildlife Documentary Production
Sunday, July 15, 2018 – 10am-5pm
Gilsland Farm Audubon Center, 20 Gilsland Farm Rd, Falmouth, ME
Join natural history and wildlife documentary filmmaker Mauricio Handler in this one-day on-location workshop that explores the world of a wildlife cameraman. The workshop will include a combination of screenings, behind-the-scenes anecdotes, show and tell, and hands-on filming with the tools of the trade.
Mauricio will introduce filming techniques and expand your current knowledge of what it takes to get the shots for documentary work, with a primary focus on the natural history realm. He will show you the tools of the trade including field tripods, long wildlife zoom lenses, 3-axis motion controllers, underwater housing, field lights, portable jibs, back packs, and much more.
Subjects that will be covered during the workshop include:
- Life as a wildlife cameraman – Have gear will travel! How did I get here? Where do I sign up?
- How to get the shots – Camera set up, technical gear, and Murphy’s law.
- Red Epic Dragon camera package – Everything you ever wanted to know and more.
- The fine art of patience – Entropy, zentropy, Iaido and how to brew the perfect coffee at camp (a sneak peek into the perfect coffee pot)
- Specialization – Should I go solo or join a team?
- The business – Pie breakdown of a wildlife cameraman.
- Filming, transcoding, editing, adding sound, and solar powered inverters.
- Jim’s spiffed up Ford F-350 Truck – The obsession with expedition vehicles
- What’s next? Maine Wild: From mountain to sea
- A sneak peek at Chile: A wild journey (not yet released)
Instructor: Mauricio Handler, Aquaterrafilms
Price: $180 non-members; $80 MFA members* Register to attend today through Eventbrite!
This full-day workshop is limited to 12 participants.
Join the Maine Film Association today for free or discounted admission to all MFA workshops and events, and many additional perks: mainefilm.org/membership
*”Scholunteer” (scholarships for volunteers) opportunities are always available for any of our educational events. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire!